Im in love with Quinoa and trying to add this in almost anything possible and with the onset of Holi this seems like a healthy way to start this years festivities. Quinoa Puran Poli it is. I’m on a mission to get healthier this year and i’m going to rock it, for sure. Its hard, the body aches, the mind asks you to sleep a little longer and the then the toddler asks you to play with her at any given hour. But what needs to done , should be done. I want to lead by example and its easier said than done.
Anyway, last Saturday i went on a shopping spree with a friend to the city for props and our kids birthdays are in March so the mandatory birthday party return gifts, gifts, clothes and the likes. So on our way i mentioned that True Elements has sent me Quinoa and she being a Nutritionist was happy to hear. That is when i mentioned that i’m making Quinoa Puran Polis and she suggested to use a mix of Oats Powder and Atta to make the dough. I did not try this for the Puran Poli but i made regular roti and i loved them. I served the hot puran with ghee to Inara and took a small bite (sigh)
Quinoa after cooked gives a nice bite and how i love it. Adding nuts powder and saffron to the Puran is your choice, I did not because this was first time making Puran Polis.
Step-by Step Recipe for Puran
Chana Dal-1/4 cup
Jaggery-1/4 + 2 tbsp
- Soak the chana dal for 1/2 hour and pressure cook it with minimal water. After its cooked drain any excess water.
- Cook the Quinoa and set aside.
- In a Pan take 1 tbsp ghee and add the cooked chana dal. Mix in and add the jaggery.
- Once the Jaggery melts cook for further 3 mins and add the cooked Quinoa.
- Let this mixture cook till its dry and thick.
- Let cool completely and keep this in the fridge for an hour
- Stuff in regular Roti Atta and cook on a Hot Tawa,
- Slather Ghee and eat with Coconut Milk / Warm Milk / As it is
Make Polis by stuffing the puran in regular chapati dough,
Ensure the Puran is more than the Chapati Atta .