What’s not to like about vada pav? Potatoes, Fried, Spicy and full of flavor. My maternal grandmother made these for certain occasions along with sheera and oh my; were they awesome. This one is my aunts favorite dish and she makes them exactly like my grandmother. however the outer layer is as important as the stuffing. It has to be crisp and golden brown throughout. The real test of a good covering (or the besan layer) is that it does not stick to the bottom when we put them in oil. I’ve got some tips and the video recipe is here and on My YouTube Channel
For the stuffing
To Mix Initially
- 13-14 boiled and mashed potatoes
- Sugar-3 tbsp
- Salt-To Taste
- Juice 3 lemons
- 1 cup chopped coriander
For the Tadka
- 4 tbsp oil
- Mustard Seeds-1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp heaped asafoetida
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 10 to 15 Curry Leaves
- 4 tbsp ginger and garlic coarsely chopped
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 4 chilies- chopped
For the Besan /Chickpea Flour Layer
- Besan/Chickpea Flour-2 cups
- Hot Oil-2 tbsp
- Soda Bi-Card-1 /4 tsp
- Turmeric and red Chilli Powder- 1 tsp each or as per your taste
1. In a big bowl mix the mashed potatoes and the rest of the ingredients under “To Mix Initially “. Reserve
2. For the tadka, Heat oil and add the mustard seeds and once they splutter, add curry leaves, turmeric and asafoetida.
3.Quickly give that a stir and add the ginger , garlic. Stir for two minutes and add the onions and chilli and mix lightly for 2-3 minutes.
4.You don’t want the onions to cook fully.
5.Now pour the tadka in the potato mix and combine.
6. Take a fistful of the mixture and make a ball. Flatten and give it a good shape
How to make the besan mixture
- Mix in all ingredients and beat for two mins using a whisk
- The consistency should not be too thin or too thick.
- It shouldn’t flow freely and should not stick to the whisk either.
How to fry the vadas
- Take one of the vadas and roll in the chickpea flour mix, ensure its covered well and then deep fry.
- You know your batter is perfect when the vadas don’t stick to the bottom of the kadhai.
- The oil should not be smoking hot else the besan layer will burn and won’t cook through well.